Saturday 17 August 2013

Man-made Nature

For my Art A Level I decided to concentrate my exam theme around the connection between man-made objects and natural ones, linking the two together. 

I took inspiration from Sayaka Ganz and an artist's collection I saw in Falmouth, both of whom had created sculptures of various creatures and animals using kitchen utensils; I loved how average objects had been used in such an unexpected way and been manipulated into something beautiful. I decided to use metallic materials for my sculptures as I would eventually display them on a small log, creating an effective contrast between the smooth and rough textures. To create this spider I used a spoon, which I bent round to create the body, fork prongs, which I bent to create the legs, and a metal staple for the fangs. I love the effect created by using metallic materials, as it creates an overall look of sleek simplicity.

Hopefully I will be able to make some more sculptures in the near future! 

Beth xxx   

No comments:

Post a Comment