Monday 22 June 2015

Cribbs, Falmouth

Last week I finally received my results from university and I am so happy to say I've achieved a 2:1 degree and even happier (and slightly shocked) to say I got a first in my dissertation! It's an amazing feeling to know all that hard work has paid off and to see what you're able to achieve when you put your mind to it. With my brother and sister travelling down to visit me that day, of course we had to go out and celebrate with a fancy meal and a couple of cocktails!

Located in the heart of Falmouth, Cribbs has been on my 'to visit' list since first year of university. It serves a range of Caribbean-style dishes all made with locally sourced Cornish ingredients, with both a lunch menu and evening menu, as well as another restaurant at the other end of town, open later as a bar. I am huge fan of food with big, lively flavours, so couldn't wait to try out what was on offer!

First off cocktails! To start I decided to try a mocktail of pineapple, creme de banane and coconut milk (unfortunately I can't remember the name of it). I'm not a huge fan of coconut, in fact I hate the stuff, but the blend of banana and pineapple toned the coconut down, instead leaving a delicious creamy, yet tropical, flavour. To end my meal I went for the Caribbean Yellow Bird: Cockspur rum (Barbados) Galliano, pineapple, orange juice and creme de banane. Sweet and fruity with a flavour that reminded me of sherbet - my kinda cocktail!
Onto the food. With a huge, diverse evening menu, we were spoilt for choice, from Caribbean lamb curry to Cornish rump steak. My brother and sister decided to go for the classic Jamaican Jerk Chicken: fresh chicken breast marinated in special Jamaican herbs, spices and soy sauce, oven roasted and served with seasoned rice, fried Plantain and pineapple chutney. Of course I had to have a little taster to see what I was missing out on, and it's safe to say it was delicious, spicy and flavoursome just as Caribbean cuisine should be!
I was tempted by the Jerk Chicken, but instead decided to really treat myself and went for the specials option of Reggae Reggae duck with garlic sweet potato. The perfect combination of sweet and spicy, with the succulent duck cooked perfectly as rare-medium. I definitely wouldn't mind another one of these right now!
It's safe to say that Cribbs was on the higher end of my budget, with the mocktail costing £5, the cocktail costing around £7.50, and the duck costing around £17.50. But hey, I was celebrating! And for an authentic, unique and delicious Caribbean dinner with a Cornish twist, it was well worth it!

Have you ever tried Caribbean food before? 

Love, Beth xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment