Sunday 11 September 2016

Apple and Cinnamon Muffins

What a beautiful day! Who else is loving this sun!? I'm definitely not ready to put away the shorts just yet so I'm hoping it lasts as long as possible. I need to keep this tan somehow!

As I mentioned in my September Goals, my baking cravings have hit the roof since the return of Great British Bake Off. So, feeling at a bit of a loose end with some time on my hands, I whipped up a little something sweet.

Recently, I've been longing for some "healthier" foods ("healthy" meaning not full of sugar or slathered in chocolate). Of course, my sweet tooth means my bakes will probably never be fully "healthy", but the thought's there. These apple and cinnamon muffins use wholemeal flour, which gives them a lovely rustic feel. And in my head, rustic equals organic which equals healthy (I'm no dietician so can't confirm the accuracy of this statement). Plus they're a small and subtle nod towards autumn. Even in my stubbornness to say "good-bye" to summer, I can't resist warm and flavoursome autumnal bakes.
Apple and Cinnamon Muffins 

Ingredients:
85g plain wholemeal flour
70g plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 tsp cinnamon
40g golden caster sugar
2 small apples (peeled, cored and finely chopped)
125ml milk
1 egg (beaten)
4 tbsp butter (melted)

What to do:
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius and place 6 muffin paper liners in a muffin tin.
2. Sift both flours, baking powder, salt and cinnamon together in a large bowl and stir in the sugar and chopped apples. Mix the milk, egg and butter in a separate bowl.
3. Divide the batter evenly between the paper liners. Top with a mixture of brown sugar (preferably with lumps) and a sprinkle of cinnamon).
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until risen and golden.
5. Remove the muffins from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool.

Denser than your usual muffin, with the added crunch of apple and a crispy topping. Enjoy with a nice cuppa. Delicious!
What autumnal bakes will you be making this year?

Love, Beth xxx

4 comments:

  1. These look lovely, I have been wanting to bake everything now Bake Off's back haha! x

    Tiffany x www.foodandotherloves.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look scrumptious, I am definitely going to be making these whilst I'm at uni. I honestly can't wait for the Autumn months as it's probably my favourite season! Lovely post again Beth, keep up with the baking.

    Tabitha x
    http://whattabithaloves.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy crap, these look SO good! Literally my favourite scent is the combination of apple and cinnamon and I love that flavour combo too- I really want to try this out!

    Julia // The Sunday Mode

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you! Apple and cinnamon is a flavour that never gets old! Beth xxx

      Delete